"The field trips and other activities were my favorite parts of the class."
- Student, 2014
"The field trips were absolutely amazing; if this quarter hadn't been so crazy I would've wanted to go on all of them."
- Student, 2014
NextEra Field Trip to Wind Farm San Ardo Field Trip to Oil Field
Students enrolled in Understanding Energy attend three field trips - one local field trip during normal class time and two off-campus field trips (chosen by the student out of ~8 off-campus field trips). Students in Understanding Energy: Essentials attend one local field trip and one off-campus field trip. Many past students (which now include several university professors) have cited these off-campus field trips as a particuarly powerful part of the course, and even their overall Stanford education. Off-campus trips are generally scheduled on Thursdays and weekends.
On the local field trip, students will explore a campus energy-related facility, including the Stanford Energy System Innovations (SESI), Stanford’s Parking and Transportation Services (P&TS), the Y2E2 LEED Platinum building, and others.
Off-campus field trips will meet at the Tresidder Parking Lot (unless otherwise noted). Below is a list of the possible locations that may be visited. Specific information about scheduled field trip dates and times will be issued in class.
Past field trip locations:
- Tesla Gigafactory
- San Ardo Oil Field
- Moss Landing Power Plant
- The Geysers Geothermal Power Plant
- Rancho Seco (Decommissioned Nuclear Power Plant and PV)
- CAISO: California Independent System Operator
- NextEra Wind Farm
- Black Diamond Mines (coal mines)
- Half Moon Bay Landfill (Ox Mountain) Power Plant
- Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant
- PG&E Pacific Energy Center; Moscone Center Solar Electric System
- Lodi Energy Center (Flexible Combined Cycle Power Plant)
- Shasta Dam & Power Plant